Thursday, April 7, 2011

Currently Reading: The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee

Currently Reading is a segment in which I would like to discuss what book(s) I've been putting my nose in recently and hear about all of your current literary adventures, a resource to share about what books have found us for the first time or to muse on old favorites that have recaptured our interest. I have always been introduced to the best reads from close pals, so I hope we can recreate that feeling of sharing here.


While reading The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee by Sarah Silverman I have been genuinely surprised in the best ways. I expected it to be funny, sure. I mean, Sarah Silverman is a funny lady!  As Times critic A. O. Scott wrote in a review of her 2005 film, Sarah Silverman: Jesus Is Magic, “Her version of insult humor is actually flattering, both to herself and to those who find it funny … everything she says is delivered through enough layers of self-consciousness—air quotes wrapped in air quotes—to make anyone who finds it offensive look like a sucker.” Funny, a given, but what I did not expect was for Silverman's writing to be so poignant and sincere. Yes, her humor is often juvenile and dirty, which I personally love, but the self-awareness and vulnerability she presents in this book give it all a little more depth. Unafraid and self-effacing, laugh out loud stories of her family and friends read right along side deeply tragic moments in her life. That kind of play between the hilarious and the horrific give a rare insight into one of the funniest people around and a greater appreciation for what she does.

I am having so much fun reading this book that I will be sad to put it down! I look forward to my morning routine of reading in the bathtub (a big no-no with a Kindle) as I know that within minutes I'll be giggling it up. This is a super fun read that I highly recommend, especially for you Silverman fans out there!



“She loved dogs, New York, television, children, friendship, sex, laughing, heartbreaking songs, marijuana, farts, and cuddling.” 
- The Bedwetter by Sarah Silverman

No comments: