Wednesday, August 31, 2011

My Birth Playlist (Part 1 of 2)

Saying you love music is like saying you love air. I mean, who doesn't, right? You need it to survive so how could you not love it? I have always put a lot of stock in the power of music. It began with finding the best new, obscure thing, something I could call my own and transformed into something more over the years. It is a scrapbook of memories, the story of my life as put to melody. Hearing a song can take me back to an exact time, a moment to be relived and enjoyed or sometimes mourned. Music is a time machine and a comforter, a friend and supporter so I knew what I was listening to while I labored would be important. I would need all of my strength for this journey and I hoped that the right music would help build me up, give me quiet courage in the chaos. 

I had a lot of fun putting together my birth mix at the end of my pregnancy. Going through my archives and delving into some great music (and memories) was exactly what I needed. It took me away from all of the fretting and "oh my god, I'm really gonna have a baby" that comes around 37 weeks. It was a great little escape and when the time was right I am so pleased that I had such a perfect compilation of songs for the birth. 

I thought I'd share them with you.


Page France- Dogs
 

Grizzly Bear- Shift 



Joanna Newsom- Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie

"There are some mornings when the sky looks like a road
There are some dragons who were built to have and hold
And some machines are dropped from great heights lovingly
and some great bellies ache with many bumblebees
(and they sting so terribly)..."

Jenny Lewis and The Watson Twins- Melt Your Heart


 Jeff Hansen- Losing A Year


Iron and Wine- Such Great Heights 
 "You will hear the shrillest highs
And lowest lows with the windows down
When this is guiding you home..."





Jose Gonzales- Heartbeats






Low- Over The Ocean


Mates of State- Nature and the Wreck 
"How I will protect
And how each day matters..."


Micah P. Hinson- For Your Eyes


Mogwai- Take Me Somewhere Nice


Mynabirds- Give It Time


Neko Case- I'm An Animal 
"Yes there are things that I'm still so afraid of 
But my courage is roaring like the sound of the sun..."


Owen- Put Your Hands On Me, My Love


Radical Face- Welcome Home, Son
                      - Asleep on a Train


Radiohead- No Surprises


Lambchop- I Will Drive Slowly (no video available)


Part Two soon to come. 

Namaste. 
Tara

No comments: