Saturday, September 17, 2011

Moon Movements

So I'm sure you have been missing the yoga in Joyful Yoga (I know I have)! So it's time to bring it back! I've been able to get into the beginnings of a groove with my practice and it feels awesome. Now to share some of that awesomeness with you...


I have been taking a very relaxed approach to my practice lately. Slowly reintegrating my body into certain movements, careful not to push to hard or place undo pressure on myself. My practice is there to help me, center me, guide me, not to lose that baby weight (although it definitely helps) or rush me back into the physicality I was used to pre-pregnancy. I have to remember that it is a tool of self growth and that it is okay to be gentle with myself right now.


Lunar series are really working for me right now. Hatha yoga translates as "ha" meaning sun and "tha" meaning moon. It is the balance of both elements. In a great deal of Western yoga the emphasis is placed on sun movements, which are more intense and invigorating, but we have to remember to allow ourselves the calmer, more restorative lunar poses to balance our practice. While a sun series warms and energizes the system, a moon series cools the body and quiets the mind. Slower, gentler postures are great when you are hot, tired, or simply feeling like a change of pace. For women in particular a lunar series is great when you are pregnant, hot flashing or menstruating.


Moon Saltutations developed by Megha-Nancy Buttenheim


Mountain Pose
Standing Side Stretch (right and left sides)
Five Pointed Star
Goddess Pose
Five Pointed Star
Triangle Pose (right side)
Straight-Legged Runner's Stretch (right side)
Bent-Knee Runner's Stretch (right side)
Side Lunge (right side)
Squat
Side lunge (left side)
Bent-Knee Runner's Stretch (left side)
Straight-Legged Runner's Stretch (left side)
Triangle Pose (left side)
Five Pointed Star
Goddess Pose
Five Pointed Star
Standing Side Stretch (right and left sides)
Mountain Pose









Namaste! 
Tara

3 comments:

Holly said...

Ahhh, yes. More yoga! Honestly, I miss my "body" but what I really miss is that vibe after class - that "I'm cool, I feel strong, I feel good" thing - most of these poses look totally possible for me, thank you for sharing.
:)

Tara said...

Oh, that's the absolute best feeling! I always feel that uber healthy confidence after a class and I can't tell you how much I miss that. I still get that feeling after a personal practice, but there's just something different about the class vibe. Glad you enjoyed the post. Have fun with these poses!

Bibek Roy said...

Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more.

Balayam Yoga