Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A New Lullaby

Ezra loves listening to music, especially as he falls asleep. I'm sure part of this calming effect comes from just how much music we played in the home those first several months of his life. When handling his colic slow, mellow tunes helped Kellen and I stay sane and extended our patience. When I felt I couldn't bounce on the yoga ball any longer I would listen to the music, bounce to the rhythm and let the calm wash over me (even if it only lasted for those few precious minutes). 

 @ 4 weeks in his favorite napping spot, my chest.

Over the last several months many Pandora stations (on our Roku) have been tailored made to help the little guy drift off and Essie Jain's Until The Light Of Morning and Cat Power's The Covers Record have become nap and bedtime staples. As much as Ez enjoys listening to recorded tunes, sometimes a good lullaby is all that will do to bring him to slumber. It didn't take long for Rock-A-Bye Baby and Brahms' Lullaby to get played out amongst these parts. 

Now that we have worked through the classics I have begun to simply sing him some of my favorite songs, songs that make me feel, songs about love, songs about rest. The last couple of days The Magnetic Field's Asleep and Dreaming kept popping into my head as I rocked, bounced, and fed him off to sleep making it the newest lullaby in our rotation. I have always had a sweet spot in my heart for this song, but now as I sing it to my beautiful boy the words take on new meaning.



I've seen you laugh at nothing at all
I've seen you sadly weeping
The sweetest thing I ever saw
Was you asleep and dreaming

Well you may not be beautiful

But it's not for me to judge
I don't know if you're beautiful
Because I love you too much

I've seen you laugh at nothing at all

I've seen you sadly weeping
The sweetest thing I ever saw
Was you asleep and dreaming

I've seen you when your ship came in

And when your train was leaving
The sweetest thing I ever saw
Was you asleep and dreaming


Namaste.

Tara 

No comments: