Tuesday, March 6, 2012

DIY: Surface Cleaner

Making your own surface cleaner is just about the easiest way to introduce more natural products in your home. It's simple and very cost effective, two of my favorite things. I'm sure many of you might already be making your own little cleaning mixtures out there, but for those who aren't I promise it's so much easier than you think!

Fill an empty spray bottle 2/3 full with water, 1/3 distilled white vinegar. Add 10 drops (or really as many as you want) of any essential oil. Want your place to smell like an orange? lavendar? eucalyptus? Whatever floats your particular boat, do it. (I'm not a big fan of the vinegary-clean smell, so I typically hit the essential oil pretty hard and make sure to use a strong scent to mask the vinegar. Personally, I rock it seasonally. I love coming home to a house that smells like peppermint in the Winter or lavendar in the Spring.)

But yeah, it's that simple.

To compliment your awesome new diy cleaner if you're feeling adventurous and high on the simplicity of it all (or possibly the essential oils) you can also trade out your paper towels for rags. Three years ago I couldn't have imagined getting by without paper towels, but now I don't remember why I ever bought them in the first place. Again simple and cost effective (very, very cost effective) so you can't beat that.

Happy cleaning!

Tara

5 comments:

Mama Smith said...

Thanks for sharing this! I really want to start trying to make my own cleaning products. It's funny because it seems like something I would do (if you knew me) but I've never tried it. I'm feeling that spring cleaning itch and looking forward to testing this and your laundry detergent out!

Annie said...

LOVE this!! I love making my own cleaners. It's SO nice knowing that you can clean your home and not negatively impact your health while doing it. Actually, with the aromatherapy benefits of the essential oils, you're actually positively impacting your health :)
Great post!

NOELLE ALOUD said...

This mixture in a bucket plus a squirt of Dr. Bronner's is how I clean my floors! When I get around to it...

I honestly don't remember the last time I used a paper towel in my own home. My mother always used rags (and cloth napkins) when I was growing up, and I was always surprised when I visited other people's homes and they had a roll of paper towels in the kitchen.

Lea said...

I am too cheap for essential oils so we stick with the pure vinegar and water smell! lol! And yes, we use cloth napkins, towels, etc... the only paper we buy is toilet paper! People think I am crazy when they see that we don't own paper towels. I love my cloth napkin collection!

Unknown said...

Ok so my mom and I made this but instead of vinegar we used vodka... Its considered linen spray... Just wondering if it can be used as effectively with vodka instead of vinegar?